4.2.11

Day 4 & 5 - Santiago de Compostela

Today we went for a drive North of Santiago to Pontedeume, the small town where I grew up before we moved to the Canary Islands.  While in Pontedeume, I walked through the streets where I used to play as a child and then visited the church where I served as an altar boy.

After that, we drove further north to Cedeira and the north east corner of Spain where the Atlantic Ocean meets the Cantabric Sea (Bay of Biscay). On the way there, we drove through San Andres de Teixeiro, home to wild horses and amazing views.

I've attached pictures of Pontedeume, Cedeira, one of the wild horses we came across and some of the views of the wild Galician coastline.
Our former house-White balconies just beyond
the street lantern.

Church in Pontedeume

Pontedeume. Used to be a small (mostly) fishing town. It is
much bigger now

Pontedeume - Count of Andrade tower

Cedeira

Cedeira

Wild horse
















The Parador de Santiago is built in a former Hostal & Hospital built to accommodate pilgrims from all over Europe who came to the Cathedral, which is adjacent to the hotel

We arrived in Santiago de Compostela this morning. The drive from Baiona was short but slow due to some heavy downpours. It has been too many years since I've been here and I almost forgot how incredible this city is. The Cathedral is truly amazing and awe inspiring. We visited the Tomb of St. James and attended afternoon mass.

The hotel we are staying in, the Parador, which is also known as the Hostal of the Catholic Kings, is truly an unbelievable property. You feel the hundreds of years of history as soon as you walk in. I have posted pictures below from the Cathedral, the hotel and some other shots around Santiago's old city.

Hotel
Our room

One of 4 hotel courtyards
Interior of Hotel

Another courtyard in Hotel
Interior of Hotel
Interior of Hotel



Cathedral of St. James

Main Altar
One of the many side chapels inside Cathedral

Tomb of St. James

One half of the Cathedral's organ


Santiago street
Santiago street
Afternoon Tapas

No comments:

Post a Comment